Wednesday 5 June 2013

Emotions!

Another great workshop: tonight we focused our attention on Emotions and ways in which we express them... Daunting? Naaaah...

I employed expertise gained while working with Pepper's Ghost's Director, Rosemary Hill, who is also a living inspiration to me, and throughout my Teacher Training and practice of Shakti Dance, the Yoga of Dance - let's say more or less seven years in total between these two experiences!

During the first hour, we worked very hard mainly exploring non-verbal communication and how to convey an emotion through body language, face expression and eye contact,  the difference between being ourselves and acting out (tying with Improvisation techniques, on which we've been working extensively since after auditions), with particular emphasis on certain emotions and why. This was then used during the second hour while reading the first act of the play, in order to convey certain emotions.

With a large group of characters in their teenage years, the play is a constant swing of moods and emotional roller-coasters  so it did help actors explore a little more in depth specific characteristics of emotions that we usually take for granted, if and how to control them.

I couldn't help myself to re-draw their attention to who they are at the end of each activity, obtaining highly valuable feedback from their own experience and the workshop itself.  My aim, from now on is to allow all young actors involved to exit the room as themselves, not as one of the characters they've been playing, so next focus will also be on closing activities.

I have also gained insights from Chris who seemed particularly keen to help them get them most from the workshop's content and aim, very precious stuff: I feel very blessed right now and full of gratitude for having a great Assistant Director beside me!

I feel so enriched by such talent, and it's also great, great fun!

Can't wait for next week's workshop...

No comments:

Post a Comment