Wednesday 28 November 2012

Name change

I am a little unwell at the moment but feel urged again to write down about a blessing I received this week: I accidentally had to cover first aid on a History school trip to London.  I'm not going to carry on about not being told that the students had to visit the HMS Belfast and Churchill's war rooms and that I didn't really feel like getting on a war ship or going down a bunker and how it affects me to think that both venues served to prepare men to kill other men... I'd rather go to Auschwitz if I have to pay respect!

Anyway, the group of students and their teacher I was accompanying took advantage of being in London to book seats at the West End to see Billy Elliot, probably one of the most inspiring musicals I've ever seen in my life.  Maybe the majority of those who love Musical Theatre know the story, but seeing it... oh, that's a different story! Book Your tickets this Christmas, if You haven't seen it!

Now, I want to share a picture with all of You, an almost 40 year-old picture of a much younger me engaged in what I've always known I can do better...

Those of You who are following this blog from Italy will know who the presenter is; for those who don't know, only know that his name was Mago Zurlì (Zurlì the Wizard), though I truly cannot remember his real name (I'm getting there with name changes... !)  The only thing You need to know is that, as soon as he introduced me to the audience by my name and where I came from to sing on this prestigious event, I looked at him from head to toe and asked him: "Do you pee yourself often?" to which he astonishingly and very embarrassed replied: "No, of course not..." so I asked him: "Then why are you wearing a nappy?"

I cannot tell You what happened in the audience but I guess that started it all!  :D

Mago Zurlì and many other artists involved in the performing arts tend to change their names often finding a more appropriate artistic name to what they're doing in a theatre context. For example, he worked with children for a number of years, therefore his character would have appealed to a much younger audience and would have helped children to feel the magic intrinsic in the event, and obviously helped children less confident than myself to feel at ease on stage.

When a new name is used/chosen, it's a process very similar to a re-birth, a re-christening of that person, a process that marks a new beginning in that person's life. In my case, it has happened quite accidentally (again!) in line with many events happened in my life since I started writing again.  It's very much like closing a chapter and opening a new one, out with the old and in with the new! Rock bands, actors, singers, women that marry for the first time, women that divorce - if they marry again, usually they keep their maiden names within reach - and many more!

The name You know me by isn't my real name... it's simply the translation of my name AND surname into English!

And, believe me when I say, it's making things much easier as far as communication with people here in England is concerned! I might give away my accent, though...

More often than not, people do not engage in conversation with me more than once because they cannot pronounce my first name, they look distressed and insecure, let alone quite frustrated. Moreover, I don't particularly like abbreviations - I've been called all sorts!

Now, new beginnings... How many times should You change Your name in a lifetime? I can answer with another question, can I?  How many times do we have the guts to bring about change in our life? A new re-birth? A new beginning? A part from marriages, divorces and so on... of course!

I hope someone comments on this...

Blessings x

PS. Thank goodness for internet: You can communicate with others without spreading viral flu around!

No comments:

Post a Comment